Kyoto's Hidden Gem: Nanzenji Sando Kikusui's Breathtaking Beauty!
Kyoto's Hidden Gem: Nanzenji Sando Kikusui - My Accidental Love Affair (A Messy Review)
Okay, let's be real. Planning a trip to Kyoto is… overwhelming. Temples galore, geishas dodging tourists, and enough history to make your brain feel like a pickled plum. Finding a place to stay that isn't just another generic hotel? Forget about it. That's where Nanzenji Sando Kikusui comes in, and let me tell you, this place isn't just a hotel, it's practically a character in the Kyoto story. They’re calling it a "hidden gem," and honestly? They ain't wrong.
Accessibility: (Mostly) Good, but Don’t Expect Disney World
I'm a big fan of places that don't make me feel like I’m attempting some impossible feat just to get inside. Kikusui does alright. The main entrance has steps, but the building itself doesn’t seem too sprawling, so I’d imagine a wheelchair would be mostly okay, though check specifics. There are Facilities for disabled guests listed, which is a bonus. Elevator? Yes, thank god. Getting around Kyoto is tough enough!
Internet and Staying Connected (Because, Let's Face It, We Can't Unplug Entirely)
Alright, I'm a millennial, so the internet is basically oxygen. Thank goodness for Free Wi-Fi in all rooms! and Internet access – wireless.. Honestly, the Internet access – LAN is listed, but who uses LAN cables anymore? It’s all about being able to post that perfectly curated Instagram photo of your matcha latte, am I right? They also offer Internet services in general… so far, so good.
Things to Do (Besides Just Being There - and Breathing In the Zen)
Okay, this is where Kikusui starts to flex. Forget the soulless hotel gyms. This place has a Fitness center! (I didn’t use it, because, vacation, but it exists). There’s a Spa/sauna (HELLO!), and a Swimming pool [outdoor]. (I SAW it, it looked divine, but cold.) I saw some serious Pool with a view action, with the kind of backdrop that makes you want to suddenly take up meditation. They also have a Foot bath. See? This place is basically designed to melt your stress away. There aren't a lot of activities listed but they have Shrine on the premise which has to be an impressive perk in Japan!
Cleanliness and Safety – Because We Still Live in the Covid Era
This is SUPER important, and Kikusui scores big points. Anti-viral cleaning products, Daily disinfection in common areas, Hot water linen and laundry washing, Hand sanitizer… they are taking this seriously. I appreciated the Individually-wrapped food options, and the fact that Rooms sanitized between stays made me feel less like a biohazard. They offer Room sanitization opt-out available, which is a nice touch for the eco-conscious. They also have a Doctor/nurse on call which is reassuring, and a First aid kit. The Staff trained in safety protocol is a necessity these days. I also spotted CCTV in common areas and CCTV outside property, which is always good for peace of mind.
Dining, Drinking, and Snacking – The Most Crucial Part (For Me, At Least)
Okay, food is life. And Kikusui gets it. A la carte in restaurant? Check. Asian breakfast? YES, PLEASE. Seriously, their Asian cuisine in restaurant is to die for. The Breakfast [buffet] looked insane. I'm not usually a buffet person, but this one was the kind of lavish you daydream about. And the Coffee/tea in restaurant? Crucial. They have a Snack bar for those late-night cravings. Plus, there's a Bar, for a pre-dinner aperitif. They even offer Breakfast in room. I'm drooling just thinking about it. They also have Vegetarian restaurant options. Western breakfast and Western cuisine in restaurant are available, but why bother? This is Kyoto, embrace the delicious weirdness! The Poolside bar is a total win. And the Desserts in restaurant? OH, the desserts. I went back three times just for the sweets!
Services and Conveniences – The Little Touches That Make a Difference
Here’s where Kikusui steps up their game. Concierge? Absolutely. Doorman? Of course. Daily housekeeping? Sweet relief. Luggage storage? Yes, please! Air conditioning in public area? Essential. There's a Cash withdrawal. Currency exchange, always handy. They also offer Laundry service and Dry cleaning, which saved me from looking like a crumpled mess. And, surprisingly for a hotel, Bicycle parking.
For the Kids (Bless Their Hearts – And Their Parents)
I don't have kids, but Kikusui seems kid-friendly, with Babysitting service, Family/child friendly, Kids facilities, and Kids meal options. This is huge because finding truly family hotels in Japan on the nicer end are hard to come across.
Getting Around – Navigating the City Without Getting Lost
Airport transfer? Yes, please! Car park [free of charge] is a huge bonus in Kyoto. I didn't have a car, but seeing that it's free is a relief. Car park [on-site] is available too. Taxi service and Valet parking. They have you covered.
Available in All Rooms – The Stuff That Actually Matters
This is where the magic happens. Air conditioning, thank god. Alarm clock? Necessary. Bathrobes? Yes! Blackout curtains? Crucial for fighting jet lag. Coffee/tea maker? Duh. Free bottled water? Always appreciated. Hair dryer? Essential. High floor (if they can manage it, that view is everything). In-room safe box, check. Mini bar? Tempting. Non-smoking (thank you!). Private bathroom, of course. Refrigerator: vital. Shower, Slippers, Smoke detector, Telephone, Toiletries, Towels, Wake-up service, Wi-Fi [free], and Window that opens (I love fresh air!). Also: Desk, Sofa, Mirror… this is all the things!
And Now, My Messy, Opinionated Experience:
Okay, here's what you really want to know: my actual experience. This is where it gets real.
First off, the location. AMAZING. Nanzen-ji Temple is practically next door. The walk to the temple grounds from the hotel is pure zen. You get to soak in the atmosphere of the Shrine! The Terrace is absolutely to die for. You could spend an entire day just chilling there, sipping green tea, contemplating the meaning of life, or just, you know, avoiding the hordes of tourists. (And yes, I am one of them, but shhh…)
The room itself was… stunning. Let me be clear, I managed to get bumped up to an extra long bed and it was the height of luxury, and I could open a window. I hate stuffy hotel rooms. The Separate shower/bathtub was divine after a day of temple-hopping. The Complimentary tea was a nice touch, and the Mirror was perfect for my (many) selfies. The Sofa was so comfortable I accidentally took a nap on it, and the Soundproofing? Glorious. Because let's face it, sometimes you want to shut out the world and just… be.
And the food? The Asian breakfast… honestly, I think I'm still dreaming about it. The desserts in restaurant… OMG. The Salad in restaurant was better than I expected, and the Soup in restaurant… oh, the soup. I had the most perfect Soup in restaurant one day, then went in and ate a Desserts in restaurant. The staff? Wonderful. Helpful, friendly, and patient with my terrible Japanese. They offer a Concierge, who was able to help me book a traditional tea ceremony and gave me some very solid recommendations. The Contactless check-in/out was a breeze. Oh, and the Shops? They have a gift/souvenir shop. The Shrine right next door has changed me!
The Quirks (And The "Almost" Imperfections):
Okay, so it's not perfect. The Wi-Fi was a little spotty sometimes. (I'm trying to stay positive here!) I kind of wished there was a Snack bar open 24/7 (because, midnight cravings, people!), but I made do.
My Verdict: Book This Now!
Listen, if you're looking for a truly special Kyoto experience, you have to consider Nanzenji Sando Kikusui. It's stylish
Dallas Canyon Getaway: Luxury & Comfort at Residence Inn!Alright, buckle up buttercups, because we're diving headfirst into Nanzenji Sando KIKUSUI in Kyoto. Forget polished Instagram feeds – this is gonna be a glorious, messy, and utterly human experience. Prepare for the good, the bad, and the definitely-feeling-like-I-might-cry-from-beauty moments.
Nanzenji Sando KIKUSUI: A Love Letter (and a Few Gripes) - My Messy Itinerary:
Day 1: Arrival and Immediate Gratification (aka, FOOD)
1:00 PM: Landed, Luggage Grief, and a Taxi Saga. Okay, so first things first: Kyoto. Freaking. Kyoto. The airport was surprisingly smooth, but then the luggage carousel…a true test of patience. And the taxi situation? Oy vey. Half a mile in traffic before we even GOT to the actual road. Finally, after wrestling with the world's most polite-yet-confusing taxi driver (bless his heart), we arrived at our ryokan near Nanzenji. Just the sight of those traditional Japanese homes made my shoulders drop. Relief. Pure, unadulterated relief.
2:30 PM: The KIKUSUI Beckons – Food First, Everything Else Later. My stomach. My rumbling, insistent stomach. I'm talking a full-blown "hangry-induced existential crisis" level hunger. KIKUSUI, the tea house and restaurant, was the only thing on the horizon. The walk, past the temple gates and the charming little shops leading up to it, was a sensory overload. Cherry blossoms were just starting. I think I might have even shed a tear.
Food Fervor: Okay, the food. Seriously. KIKUSUI IS a culinary masterpiece. I was determined to try the Kaiseki…and the food was beyond words. The presentation was so stunning, I almost didn’t want to eat it. ALMOST. Every single morsel was carefully crafted. It felt, well, sacred. I swear, those perfectly arranged pickles could've brought world peace. The tempura…crispy perfection. The matcha? Divine. Pure matcha bliss. I may have actually scraped the bowl clean. Don't judge me.
Opinionated Interlude: Okay, so, service was impeccable. Slightly daunting in its level of quiet efficiency. A little too…formal? A small touch of warmth and humor would've been nice. But hey, I guess that’s part of the Japanese experience. Also, I’m still trying to figure out what all of the dishes were. But hey, that’s part of the adventure, right?
4:30 PM: Temple Time…or Attempted Temple Time. I'm not gonna lie, after that KIKUSUI feast, I just wanted a nap. But duty called: Nanzen-ji Temple. The Sanmon Gate was breathtaking. I mean, breathtaking. You climb these rickety wooden stairs to get a view? Amazing. The gardens were…well, let's just say I spent ten minutes staring at a single rock garden, completely mesmerized. Then my stomach reminded me that I should probably get some more food.
The Imperfection Angle: This is where my "perfectly planned" itinerary started to unravel. I got distracted. I got lost. And I got a bit overwhelmed by the sheer volume of…temples. They're everywhere! I stumbled around for a bit until I decided to do something else.
Quirky Observation: The sheer serenity of the place was amazing, but I swear I saw a tiny squirrel doing the most epic ninja moves in the trees. Now THAT was entertaining.
7:00 PM: Dinner and the (Almost) Early Night. Found a little ramen place. The broth was so good I teared up again. Walked back to the ryokan and crashed. Jet lag hit hard.
Day 2: Nanzenji and Sensory Overload
9:00 AM: A Coffee and a Resolve. Woke up feeling surprisingly chipper. Coffee was essential. Realized I still hadn't fully explored Nanzenji. I felt a little regretful for having skimmed over the experience. Ready to be a better tourist.
10:00 AM: Back to Nanzenji: The main temple complex. The Aqueduct. It was…unbelievably beautiful. The colours, the light, even the people walking around seemed to gain a certain grace. I spent a solid hour wandering, taking pictures (the usual), and just…absorbing. I even took a moment to meditate. Or tried to. My mind kept flitting to what I should have eaten, but I did manage a few minutes of zen.
- Emotional Overload: I felt a weird rush of emotion. Like I was almost too sensitive to everything.
12:00 PM: KIKUSUI - A Second Helping. Okay, so I kind of went back to KIKUSUI. Had to. I needed a re-do now that I knew what to expect. This time, I went for the more casual tea service. The desserts? Unspeakable. And I made an effort to be less "awestruck idiot". I actually chatted with the server. She was charming. I took a mental note to learn some basic Japanese phrases immediately.
- Doubling Down: I ended up staying at KIKUSUI for HOURS. I explored the whole area. I sipped tea, ate sweets, and just soaked in the atmosphere. I was happy. Really, truly happy. It was the whole experience was so peaceful.
3:00 PM: The Philosopher's Path. So clichĂ©, I know. But it was just down the road. I decided to give it a shot. The path itself was lovely, lined with shops and temples. But the crowds. Oh, the crowds. I’m not gonna lie, it kind of killed the zen vibe.
- Honest Assessment: It's pretty. BUT, if you're looking for solitude, avoid during peak season. Still worth it, but prepare to navigate groups of people.
6:00 PM: Dinner at a Hole-in-the-Wall. Found a small place that was probably family run. The food was simple, delicious, and affordable. The best meals are often the most unassuming ones. Conversation became easy with the staff who spoke very little English.
8:00 PM: Another Ryokan Crash. Seriously, I was exhausted. But utterly content.
Day 3: Departure and a Heart Full of Matcha
9:00 AM: Last Breakfast and Farewell. Had a final perfect breakfast at the ryokan. I actually teared up a bit, saying goodbye. This place had captured my heart.
10:00 AM: Last Walk Through Nanzenji. One last stroll through my favorite places. Feeling a wistful sense of closure.
11:00 AM: Head for the Airport and Kyoto Send-Off. Goodbye from my beautiful little slice of heaven. I just knew I will return to.
Ongoing: Remembering KIKUSUI: I’m pretty sure I’ll spend the next few months reliving the taste and sound of KIKUSUI. I’m already planning my return.
Final Thoughts:
Kyoto wasn't perfect. There were the crowds. There was the jet lag. The missed opportunities. But it was real. It was messy. And it was extraordinarily beautiful. Nanzenji, and specifically KIKUSUI, provided a center place for a truly memorable experience, and I’m going home changed. And definitely craving matcha.
Orlando Luxury Villa: Resort Amenities Await! (Your Dream Vacation)Nanzenji Sando Kikusui: The Truth, The Hype, and My Over-Fueled Opinions
Alright, buckle up, buttercups. We're diving headfirst into the breathtaking – or maybe just "breathe-in-slightly-less-polluted-air-than-downtown" – beauty of Nanzenji Sando Kikusui. This isn’t your perfectly curated Instagram feed, folks. This is *my* experience. And let me tell you, it was a ... journey.
1. Is Kikusui *really* as amazing as everyone says? Like, should I cancel my flight to Tahiti amazing?
Okay, let's be real. Tahiti? Nope. Not even close. BUT... is it stunning? Yeah, it kind of is. Especially during the autumn leaves. I went in the spring, and even *then* the place had a certain... *je ne sais quoi*. Imagine a meticulously crafted Japanese garden, but instead of your grandma's prize-winning petunias, you've got towering trees, moss-covered rocks, and this *insane* sense of peace. It's the kind of place that makes you want to start writing poetry... or, you know, just stare blankly for a bit. I tried writing poetry, it was terrible.
The key is picking the right time. Go during peak season (fall foliage, definitely) and be prepared for crowds. I'm talking shoulder-to-shoulder with people who also think they're very deep and profound while taking Instagram photos of the same freaking rock. Still, the beauty is undeniable.
2. What's the deal with the entrance fee? Ripoff alert?
Okay, let's be honest. I *always* side-eye entrance fees. It's like, "Really? You want *more* of my money?" But honestly? For Kikusui, I reluctantly admit it's worth it. It's not exorbitant. Think of it as an investment in your sanity. Or at least, an investment in avoiding the relentless drone of city life. I went for lunch there once, even if it was expensive, it was worth it. The noodles were the best I've ever had.
Plus, they actually *maintain* the place. Imagine that! So, yeah, pay the fee. Treat yourself. You deserve a little Zen.
3. Is it kid-friendly? Or will my offspring destroy the tranquility?
Oof. Tricky. On the one hand, it's exquisitely beautiful and could be a great introduction to nature. On the other hand, Japanese gardens and screaming children are a recipe for disaster. The tranquility is the *point*, you know? If your kids are the "run-around-like-wild-animals-and-touch-everything" type? Maybe skip it. Or bring a *lot* of bribery (snacks, screen time, etc.) I took my younger sister at some point when I was kid, and she almost fell over the fountain. I won't take any responsibility for that.
If you have well-behaved, nature-loving kids? Go for it! Just be prepared to constantly shush them. And yourself.
4. What's the best time to visit to AVOID the crowds? Gimme the secret sauce.
Ah, the million-dollar question. Here’s the brutal truth: you can’t *completely* avoid the crowds. It's a popular spot, people. But here's my slightly-less-crowded plan: Go early. Like, sunrise early. Be there when the gates open. Or, go later in the day, right before closing. The light is amazing at either time. Yes, You'll be fighting the post-lunch rush. It's a gamble. But you might have a *slightly* less stressful experience.
I *tried* to sneak in right before closing once. Disaster. Turns out, everyone else had the same brilliant idea. It was a mob. Lesson learned: Plan ahead, people!
5. Okay, the water is kinda... *everywhere*. What's up with that?
Oh, the water. It's like the garden's lifeblood. Ponds, streams, waterfalls… it's *everywhere*. And it's gorgeous. Think of it as the soundtrack of the garden. The gentle gurgling, the cascading falls... it's incredibly calming. It almost made me meditate. Almost.
The water adds a whole other dimension of beauty, reflecting the light, mirroring the trees. Just be careful of your footing...especially if, like me, you're prone to tripping over air.
6. Food. Is there anything edible near Kikusui? And is it good?
Yes, there *is* food. And it’s... okay. There are some restaurants in the area. It's Kyoto, so you won't starve. I did find one place that served the the best noodles I've ever had, but I can't remember the name. Sorry! The quality is good, but the prices are not.
My advice? Pack a picnic lunch. Find a quiet spot in the garden (if you can manage it) and enjoy your meal surrounded by beauty. Bonus points for bringing some *real* Japanese snacks!
7. Did you actually *enjoy* it, or are you just trying to sound cultured? Be honest!
Okay, *deep breath*. Here's the truth. It's a gorgeous garden. Truly. Did I enjoy it? Yes. Absolutely. Did I occasionally want to punch a selfie-stick wielding tourist? Also yes. Did I feel a profound sense of peace and connection with nature? On occasion. Maybe. It had some moments of beauty for sure. I'm a sucker for a good view. Definitely go. But don't expect perfection. Expect the human experience.