Athens' Grande Bretagne: Live the Ultimate Luxury Escape!

Hotel Grande Bretagne, a Luxury Collection Hotel, Athens Athens Greece

Hotel Grande Bretagne, a Luxury Collection Hotel, Athens Athens Greece

Athens' Grande Bretagne: Live the Ultimate Luxury Escape!

Athens' Grande Bretagne: More Than Just a Hotel, It's a Mythical Experience (and a Few Mild Headaches)

Alright, buckle up buttercups, because we're diving headfirst into the Grande Bretagne. This isn't your average hotel review; this is me, after a whirlwind stay, spilling the tea (and probably spilling some of the complimentary wine, too). This place claims to be the ultimate luxury escape, and, well…it's got a lot of the ingredients. Let's break it down, slow and messy, like a perfect Greek salad.

First Impressions (and Accessibility Woes): Okay, let's start with the brass tacks. Accessibility. They say they have facilities for disabled guests and an elevator. That's a good start, but honestly, more specific details would be appreciated. A hotel of this caliber should be shouting about its accessibility features, not whispering them. This is a HUGE area where the GB needs to step up its game if it truly wants to cater to everyone.

Getting Around (and Parking the Chariot): Okay, so, getting to the Grande Bretagne is easy, assuming you're not trying to navigate the narrow, chaotic streets of Athens yourself. They offer a car park (hooray!), with valet parking (even better!). And, yes, they offer airport transfer. Smooth sailing on that front. They should, however, make sure that there would still be a parking spot for people who would like to use the car park for themselves

Checking In (and the Allure of the 24-Hour Front Desk): Praise Zeus for a 24-hour front desk! This is crucial when you're jet-lagged, disoriented, and desperately craving a Greek coffee at 3 AM. Contactless check-in/out is a welcome nod to, well, everything that's been happening lately. Check-in/out [private] also available, so it feels like you're getting the VIP treatment from the start.

Rooms & Comfort (and the Blackout Curtains That Saved My Sanity): My room? Glorious. Seriously, the air conditioning was a lifesaver (especially after wandering around the Acropolis in the scorching sun). The blackout curtains? Angels. I'm a light sleeper, and they were a godsend. Free Wi-Fi (thank you, GB!) and a desk meant I could actually get some work done (when I wasn't lounging in the bathrobes). Daily housekeeping kept everything sparkling. The free bottled water was a small, but much-appreciated gesture. I had an extra long bed, which was great cause I am a tall guy. The satellite/cable channels were a nice distraction for when I didn't feel like leaving the room (which, admittedly, was often). Room for Improvement (or My Inner OCD Kicking In): While the rooms are mostly flawless, the additional toilet would be amazing. It’s a luxury hotel, after all. I'm a stickler for a well-stocked mini-bar, and mine could have offered more variety of Greek drinks. While I was there, I thought I broke my mirror with my mind. But it was all great.

Internet (and the Struggle is Real): They promise Free Wi-Fi in all rooms! and Internet access – wireless, and for the most part, it delivered. I needed to connect to the Internet access – LAN for a serious work thing, but it was not available. It also says Internet services so I expected it to be excellent and seamless, but it was a bit patchy at times. Minor quibble, but in this day and age, reliable internet is a necessity, not a luxury.

Dining, Drinking, and Snacking (Where I Found My Inner Glutton): This is where the Grande Bretagne truly shines. Forget your diet, folks. Seriously. It's a lost cause.

The Breakfast Buffet: Oh. My. Gods. (Pun intended). This breakfast buffet is legendary. Okay, let's just call it a breakfast experience. There's a huge of Breakfast [buffet] things to choose from. From freshly baked pastries and an array of cheeses to made-to-order omelets and every kind of coffee you can imagine, it's a feast fit for the gods (or a very hungry human like myself.) Breakfast [buffet]? More like a full-on culinary assault. Coffee/tea in restaurant. Yeah, that was my jam. Every morning, I had to drag myself away. I could easily eat myself into a coma.

The A La Carte Restaurant: This isn’t just food; it's art. The international cuisine is something to behold. The salad in restaurant was a refreshing delight. If you love desserts in restaurant, you can get some. The Happy Hour? A mandatory stop. The Poolside Bar? Yes, please. Restaurants? Plural. You will be eating like a king (or queen, your choice).

Let's Get Down to the Spa (and How I Found My Zen): The Spa is a true highlight, the Pool with view will take your breath away! The Sauna, Steamroom, Foot bath, Spa/sauna and the Massage were all divine. I went for a Body scrub and Body wrap, if you did not try it, you should, I felt like a reborn god from mount Olympus. All of that was so relaxing that I almost fell asleep in the middle of a massage.

Things to Do & Ways to Relax (Beyond the Buffet and the Spa): Beyond the obvious, this hotel offers so much. Swimming pool [outdoor] – a stunning oasis. Fitness center to work off that breakfast. Gym/fitness, in case you need more. The Terrace offers breathtaking views. Basically, the Grande Bretagne is a playground for the senses.

Cleanliness and Safety (Because We Live in the Real World): Okay, let's get serious for a sec. Cleanliness and safety are clearly a priority, with Anti-viral cleaning products, Daily disinfection in common areas, and Staff trained in safety protocol. Seeing hand sanitizer stations everywhere was reassuring. They also have Safe dining setup and Sanitized kitchen and tableware items. I felt genuinely safe here, like they are taking the pandemic situation very seriously.

Services and Conveniences (Like They're Reading My Mind): Do you need Dry cleaning, Laundry service, Concierge, Babysitting service? They got you! They also have a gift/souvenir shop, which is great for last-minute presents (or, you know, a little something for yourself). Cash withdrawal and Currency exchange are also available. They also have Facilities for disabled guests and Elevator so you can visit almost every place.

For the Kids (And the Inner Child in All of Us): They have Family/child friendly, Kids facilities, and Kids meal. I don't have kids, but the hotel definitely seems geared towards them.

Business Traveler Stuff (Because Real Life Doesn't Stop): Business facilities, Meeting/banquet facilities, and Meeting stationery are all available. They also have a Xerox/fax in business center, if you are one of those who still use this.

Security (Because, You Know, Safety First): They've got it all, with CCTV in common areas, CCTV outside property, Fire extinguisher, Smoke alarms, and Security [24-hour].

Final Thoughts (and a Few Deep Breaths):

The Grande Bretagne is a beautiful, luxurious, and (mostly) flawlessly executed experience. From the moment you walk in, you feel like you've entered a different world. It’s not perfect (that internet, ugh!), but the sheer opulence, the impeccable service, and the divine food more than make up for any minor hiccups.

The Biggest Takeaway: This hotel is designed to make you feel pampered, indulged, and utterly, utterly relaxed. Do they deliver on the "ultimate luxury escape" promise? Absolutely. Book it. You won't regret it.

My Opinionated Rating: 9.5/10 (Minus half a point for the internet and a little shout-out to the accessibility. And another slight deduction for making me gain 5 pounds in a week.)

Now, for the irresistible offer, woven into the narrative:

Tired of the Ordinary? Craving a Greek Getaway?

Forget those cookie-cutter hotels! Escape to the Grande Bretagne in Athens, and experience a world of pure indulgence. Imagine yourself:

  • Waking up in a luxurious room, with freshly opened window and a breathtaking view.
  • Savoring a breakfast buffet that's a culinary masterpiece, complete with a full Western breakfast.
  • Indulging in a massage at the Spa, where stress melts away like feta in the sun.
  • Exploring the wonders of Athens, then returning to the hotel for a cocktail at the Poolside Bar.

But wait, there's more! Book your stay at the Grand Bretagne now and we guarantee an upgrade to

Shima Log Miyakojima: Japan's Hidden Paradise Awaits!

Book Now

Hotel Grande Bretagne, a Luxury Collection Hotel, Athens Athens Greece

Hotel Grande Bretagne, a Luxury Collection Hotel, Athens Athens Greece

Okay, buckle up, buttercup. This isn't your sterile, perfectly-planned itinerary. This is my attempt at Athens, and it's going to be a glorious, slightly chaotic mess. We're staying at the Hotel Grande Bretagne, because, well, I deserve it after the absolute travesty that was booking my last flight. (Don't ask.)

Hotel Grande Bretagne, Athens: My Week of Glorious, Imperfect Mayhem

(Day 1: Arrival & That Damn Balcony View)

  • 11:00 AM: Arrive at Athens International Airport. Pray to the gods of baggage handling that my suitcase actually arrives. Seriously, I packed approximately 80% of my wardrobe. (Okay, maybe a slight exaggeration, but still.) Transfer by a pre-booked taxi. The ride to the hotel – it's a visual feast. Seriously, the Acropolis looming in the distance… I'm feeling all the feels already.
  • 12:30 PM: Check-in. Holy. Mother. Of. Hotels. The lobby? Marble, chandeliers, the works. I nearly tripped over my own feet just trying to look sophisticated. They give me keys, and honestly, I could have cried when I saw my room. Except I didn't because I'm an adult and that's just weird.
  • 1:00 PM: The Balcony. Oh. My. Gods. The Acropolis is right there. I could practically reach out and touch the Parthenon. Okay, maybe not. But the view is breathtaking. I grab the bottle of Champagne complimentary in the room and make a toast to… well, to me. And to surviving the flight.
  • 1:30 PM - 3:00 PM: Lunch at the hotel's rooftop restaurant, GB Roof Garden Restaurant & Bar. I'm gonna be honest, I spent probably an hour just staring at the Acropolis. The food was amazing, but mostly, I was just soaking it all in. The waiter was super polite to me, despite me dropping my fork approximately 6 times.
  • 3:00 PM - 6:00 PM: A stroll around the hotel. Checking out the spa & pool, and various other facilities, and getting my bearings. And honestly, pretending I belong here. (I don't, but a girl can dream, right?)
  • 6:00 PM - 7:00 PM: Cocktail hour (or two) at the Alexander's Bar. It's all about the atmosphere. They serve a ridiculously good martini. I may or may not have gotten a little chatty with the bartender about the history of Athens. He might have regretted it.
  • 7:30 PM: Dinner at a restaurant I'd pre-booked called Vassilenas. It was a suggestion from a friend, who claimed its seafood was to die for. Let's see if they were right. (Spoiler: they were.) I ate so much, I practically waddled back to the hotel.
  • 9:30 PM: Back to the balcony. That Acropolis view… still stunning. I vow to stay up late, gazing at the twinkling city lights. I fall asleep before 10. Jet lag, you magnificent beast.

(Day 2: Ancient History & Unnecessary Purchases)

  • 9:00 AM: Breakfast at the hotel. The buffet is LEGIT. I feel like a glutton, but hey, I’m on vacation. (And, you know, I worked my butt off to get here.)
  • 10:00 AM: Acropolis & Parthenon Ruins Tour. Armed with a tour guide and a hat because the sun is BEATING down. I swear, standing in the shadow of the Parthenon, I actually felt a shiver. It's utterly awe-inspiring. The guide? A Greek god in human form, if I'm being totally honest. (I may have accidentally lingered a little longer near him than strictly necessary. Don't judge.) (Okay, judge.)
  • 1:00 PM: Lunch somewhere near the Acropolis. I'm craving something authentic. Gyro, perhaps? Or perhaps all the gyros?
  • 2:30 PM: Shopping in Plaka. Oh dear god. This is dangerous territory. I buy a ridiculously overpriced, yet utterly adorable, ceramic olive oil pourer. And a scarf. And some sandals. The credit card is weeping.
  • 5:00 PM: Visit the Acropolis Museum. The exhibits are amazing, but I'm also exhausted. My feet are screaming.
  • 7:00 PM: Dinner at a small, unassuming restaurant recommended by the waiter at Alexander's Bar. Let's just say, the food definitely wasn’t my favourite.
  • 8:30 PM: Back to the balcony. This time, I manage to stay awake to appreciate the view, while also having a deep thought about how amazing everything is.

(Day 3: The Day I Became an Olympian)

  • 9:00 AM: Another breakfast. Another buffet. (I'm starting to wonder if I'll fit on the plane home.)
  • 10:00 AM: Visit the Panathenaic Stadium. The original Olympic stadium! I feel a surge of patriotism, even though I'm… American. The guide tells the story of the Olympics. And then I run a lap. In the stadium. I feel like I'm in the olympics.
  • 12:00 PM: Lunch at Taverna Psarras with a view of the Acropolis. More seafood. More good food.
  • 2:00 PM: Shopping. Again. I'm trying to pretend I'm a cultured, worldly traveller, but I’m really just a sucker for souvenirs.
  • 5:00 PM: Back to the hotel. Spa time! Maybe a massage… or two… or three?
  • 7:30 PM: Dinner. I'm starving, but the thought of more rich food is slightly terrifying. So I ended up getting a salad. (I know, I know, I'm disappointing myself.)
  • 9:00 PM: It's that balcony again. This time, I'm armed with wine. And a book I will probably never finish.

(Day 4: Delphi or Bust (and Almost Getting Lost)

  • 8:00 AM: Early start! Day trip to Delphi. This requires a driver because, let's be honest, I'm not navigating Greek roads.
  • 10:00 AM: We arrive at Delphi… It's absolutely incredible. The Sanctuary of Apollo, the ancient theatre… it's so, so beautiful. But, yeah, it's also mostly ruins, so I spent a lot of time imagining what it used to look like.
  • 1:00 PM: Lunch in Delphi! I eat a Greek salad and some amazing fresh bread with olive oil.
  • 2:00 PM: We get back on the road, and I'm already starting to think about the journey back. The ruins are cool, but getting there? Exhausting.
  • 5:00 PM: Back to the Hotel Grande Bretagne, Athens. The comfort of the hotel feels like a warm embrace after Delphi.
  • 7:00 PM: Fine dining at the hotel's GB Roof Garden Restaurant & Bar. The food is exquisitely presented, and the view is divine.
  • 9:00 PM: Bed. I'm pooped.

(Day 5: The Messiest Day, and the Best Souvlaki)

  • 10:00 AM: Sleep in! I need this.
  • 11:30 AM: Breakfast.
  • 1:00 PM: Visit the National Archaeological Museum. It's filled with treasures, but I'm starting to suffer from "museum fatigue". I quickly check out the museum and buy a coffee.
  • 3:00 PM: I decide to walk around the city, as I have planned.
  • 4:00 PM: Wandering around. I have the most amazing Souvlaki I've ever had in my life, and it made me cry with joy. (Okay, maybe not cry, but it was THAT good.)
  • 6:00 PM: It starts raining. And I didn't bring an umbrella. Of course.
  • 7:00 PM: I reach back to the hotel all wet.
  • 8:00 PM: Dinner, and I eat it in my room. I'm just tired and wet.
  • 9:00 PM: Back to the balcony. This time, the Acropolis is shrouded in mist. It looks ghostly and beautiful.

(Day 6: Relaxation & Reflection (and Airport Anxiety)

  • 9:00 AM: Breakfast.
  • 10:00 AM: Pool time! I'm not a swimmer, but the hotel pool is so gorgeous, I spend the whole morning relaxing.
  • 1:00 PM: Lunch
Fairfield Inn & Suites Dublin (GA): Your Perfect Dublin Getaway!

Book Now

Hotel Grande Bretagne, a Luxury Collection Hotel, Athens Athens Greece

Hotel Grande Bretagne, a Luxury Collection Hotel, Athens Athens Greece Athens' Grande Bretagne: FAQs (Oh Boy, Where Do I Even Begin?)

Athens' Grande Bretagne: FAQs - Prepare Yourself... It's a Ride.

Okay, Seriously... Is the Grande Bretagne *Really* as Luxurious as They Say? (Because "Luxury" is Such a Loaded Word.)

Look, here's the deal. I went expecting… well, I'd seen the pictures. Marble, chandeliers, enough gold leaf to blind a small country. And yeah, it's *mostly* true. It IS incredibly opulent. Think Downton Abbey, but with more selfie sticks. The lobby? Majestic. The staircase? Guaranteed Instagram fodder. BUT… here's the thing: it’s… a little… *much*, at times. Like, sometimes I felt like I was walking through a gilded cage. Don't get me wrong, I'm not complaining… not *much*. It's genuinely beautiful, but also, a little bit… overwhelming? It’s like eating a whole box of chocolates. Delicious, but you might feel a little queasy afterwards.

The Rooftop Restaurant: Worth the Hype (and the Price Tag)? Because, Let's Face it, Food's Important.

Alright, the GB Roof Garden Restaurant. Okay, let me tell you a story… I’m usually a "grab a gyro and go" kind of traveller. But, you know, 'when in Rome' (or, you know, Athens, and in a ridiculously fancy hotel). So, I swallowed hard and booked a table. The view? Epic. *Seriously* epic. Acropolis staring you in the face. You can practically *touch* it. The food… well, it was… good. Very, *very* good. But also… tiny portions. I'm a reasonably sized human, and I *almost* needed a second dinner afterwards. The service was… impeccable. Maybe *too* impeccable. Everyone's being so polite, but then I got my bill, almost choked on my water. It was a breathtaking experience. I mean, view and food-wise. wallet-wise, it was, well, an experience too.

Spa Day Shenanigans: Did You Actually Relax? Or Just Pretend? (Because, Secretly, I’m a Terrible Relaxer.)

Okay, the spa. This one's a tough one. I *wanted* to be all zen and floaty. I *really* did. Surrounded by marble, hushed tones, essential oils wafting through the air… But then, you know… thoughts. Like, "Am I *really* supposed to be naked right now?" "Is that person judging my cellulite?" "Did I remember to turn off the coffee pot?" The massage itself was great (honestly, I think I fell asleep for a bit, which is a win). But the little niggling anxieties of my regular life still seemed to sneak in there. It's not the spa's fault. It's *me*. I’m just not built for pure, unadulterated relaxation. But the sauna and the pool were nice. Definitely nice. Maybe next time... maybe I'll actually *succeed* in relaxing. Don't hold your breath.

How's the Location, Location, Location? Is it all just a Tourist Trap, or is it Actually Convenient?

Right in the heart of Syntagma Square. Which is both brilliant and… a bit bonkers. Brilliant because you are *literally* steps away from everything. The Acropolis? A pleasant walk (well, depending on your definition of pleasant, and whether you’ve been battling jet lag). Shopping? Right there. Restaurants? Everywhere. The metro? Underneath your feet. Bonkers because there's *always* something going on. Protests, parades, tourists… it's a lively neighborhood. It's not exactly tranquil. I got woken up by a marching band at 7 am one morning. So, there's that. But honestly, the convenience is undeniable. You'll get a real feel for Athens, no matter the noise.

The Rooms: Are they Actually Worth the Price of a Small Car? (Because, let's be honest, they probably are.)

Okay, I stayed in… the room. It had a view of the Acropolis. It had a gigantic bed. It had a marble bathroom with gold fixtures. I mean, it was *ridiculous*. It was beautiful. It was… comfortable. And, let's be honest, I *loved* the robe. It was the softest robe I've ever worn in my life. I almost considered stealing it. Almost. But, the price? Yeah. You're paying for that view, for the history, for the privilege. I’d be lying if I said I wouldn’t happily stay there again. But also, I'd probably have a panic attack every time I touched anything, worrying about breaking it. It's a splurge, no doubt. Decide if you're prepared to live a life of slightly anxious indulgence. The robe is worth it though. Just saying.

Breakfast - The most important meal? Or Overpriced toast?

Breakfast at the Grande Bretagne. Oh. My. Word. It's like a buffet of dreams. Mountains of pastries. Exotic fruits I couldn't even name. An omelet station manned by a chef with a twinkle in his eye. Seriously, incredible. I mean, I went to the gym *just* so I could justify eating my weight in croissants. The quality is amazing. The setting is all fancy chandeliers and crisp white tablecloths. But... after a few days? You might start to feel a little… over-indulged. And let's be real, you are paying a premium for that gourmet toast. But... the coffee's delicious, and the service is perfect. So yeah. Worth it? Maybe. Depends how much you love a good breakfast.

Should I *Really* Wear My Best Clothes? Or Can I Get Away With a Slightly Faded T-shirt? The Dress Code Dilemma.

Look, here's the thing. The Grande Bretagne has a certain vibe. It's… elegant. You'll see people dressed to the nines. But honestly? I saw everything. Some people were seriously dressed up. I saw a woman in a full-length gown at breakfast! Others were more relaxed. I wore a nice shirt, some smart trousersHotel Search Today

Hotel Grande Bretagne, a Luxury Collection Hotel, Athens Athens Greece

Hotel Grande Bretagne, a Luxury Collection Hotel, Athens Athens Greece

Hotel Grande Bretagne, a Luxury Collection Hotel, Athens Athens Greece

Hotel Grande Bretagne, a Luxury Collection Hotel, Athens Athens Greece