Cusco's Hidden Gem: Uncover the Majesty of Casona La Recoleta!

Casona La Recoleta Cusco Peru

Casona La Recoleta Cusco Peru

Cusco's Hidden Gem: Uncover the Majesty of Casona La Recoleta!

Cusco's Hidden Gem: Casona La Recoleta – My Honest (and Slightly Rambling) Review

Okay, buckle up, buttercups, because this isn't your typical, sterile hotel review. I just got back from Casona La Recoleta in Cusco, and I’m still wrestling with the altitude (and the sheer majesty of the place). This historical gem… wow. Let's dive in. And by dive, I mean maybe splash around a little, get a toe wet, before we full-on cannonball into the experience.

First Impressions (and a Little Whining About the Altitude)

Landing in Cusco is a trip. Literally. The elevation hits you like a brick of coca leaves (which, by the way, are surprisingly helpful. Just saying…). From the moment you step off the plane, you're aware of the thin air. I'm talking gasping for breath while trying not to look like you’re about to pass out. Thankfully, Casona La Recoleta offers airport transfer – thank the gods. I barely remember the ride, but the doorman, thank you! gave the impression of having seen worse before.

Accessibility & Keeping it Real:

Now, about the nitty-gritty. Accessibility is… well, it's Cusco. Which means cobblestone streets and hills. The hotel itself has an elevator, thank goodness. Facilities for disabled guests are listed, but honestly reviewing this is hard. I can't adequately rate this aspect because I didn't use that service so this is a warning: call ahead or contact the hotel beforehand.

The Rooms: Oh, the Rooms! (And My Mini-Bar Mishap)

My room? Absolutely sublime. The blackout curtains were a godsend – crucial for beating jet lag. The extra long bed was a lifesaver, because my legs are too long, and the linens! Oh, the linens… soft, crisp, and whispering promises of a good night's sleep. The coffee/tea maker was a welcome find, too, to get you over all the jet lag. And the view! Seriously, picture this: Andean architecture blending seamlessly with modern comfort. Okay, I will admit it, I totally raided the mini bar! You know, to "acclimatize." I have a confession: I ended up buying a whole bottle of water, which was great for staying hydrated. (Altitude, remember?)

The bathroom was beautiful: bathrobes and slippers?! Luxury! I'm not usually one for bathtub, but after a day of exploring, it was pure bliss. The shower pressure was great, too, which is surprisingly important after a day of hiking in the Andes (I took one to enjoy after this)

Internet - A Tangled Web (But Mostly Good)

Listen, I needed to stay connected - work calls, Instagramming my alpaca encounters, the whole shebang. The Wi-Fi [free] in my room worked flawlessly. They also have Internet access – LAN, but who actually uses LAN anymore? But hey, the option's there. The Internet services overall were good.

Dining, Drinking, and Snacking: (My Stomach's Tale)

Alright, let's talk food. And trust me, I love to.

  • Breakfast [buffet]: Fantastic! The Asian breakfast section was a surprise treat. The Western breakfast was, of course, classic and safe. The Coffee/tea was perfect, but I would love to have found a barista.
  • Restaurants: There's an Ă  la carte in the restaurant option and a buffet in the restaurant.
  • Snacks and more: They even had room service (24 hours!) - The snacks during the day were a godsend (see altitude situation above).

The Spa: Where I "Relaxed" (Or, At Least, Tried To)

This is where Casona La Recoleta truly shines. The Spa/sauna? Incredible. I went for the Body scrub and the massage. The therapist was a tiny powerhouse, and the massage… I swear, my muscles actually thanked me. The Pool with view was gorgeous, but the altitude made swimming feel like an Olympic sport. I also tried the foot bath, and it was absolutely worth it. I didn't get a chance to hit the gym/fitness but I did check out the steamroom and just melted.

Cleanliness and Safety: (Feeling Safe is a Must!)

Okay, this is crucial. Cusco, as beautiful as it is, is in a busy city. I felt incredibly safe at Casona La Recoleta. They had CCTV in common areas and outside property, a 24-hour front desk. They also used Anti-viral cleaning products, and offered room sanitization opt-out available, which made me feel much better. They had a first aid kit, and a doctor/nurse on call. It was a huge relief.

Services and Conveniences:

Okay, let’s get to the boring practical stuff, but it matters:

  • Concierge: Always helpful.
  • Cash withdrawal and currency exchange: Super convenient.
  • Luggage storage, laundry service and dry cleaning: essential.
  • Daily housekeeping: I did have a few items moved, but hey, that’s life.

For the Kids (And The Big Kids at Heart)

I didn't bring any kids, but I saw some families, who seemed happy. They had a babysitting service.

Things to Do (Beyond Just Existing):

  • Meeting/banquet facilities (apparently, you can host events!),
  • Gift/souvenir shop (easy to grab some souvenirs)
  • Bicycle parking.

Getting Around:

  • They offer Airport transfer, which, as I mentioned, is a must.
  • Car park [free of charge].

The Quirks, the Imperfections, and the Little Things

Look, no place is perfect. The staff were amazing, but maybe communication was a little hard sometimes and the elevator was slow. But these are small complaints. The overall atmosphere, the history, the location…it's all magical. This is not one of the bigger hotel chains, and sometimes you can feel that.

My Verdict and a Persuasive (and Slightly Over-the-Top) Offer:

Casona La Recoleta? Go. Just go. It's more than a hotel; it's an experience. It's a place to escape the ordinary, to soak up the beauty of Cusco, and to maybe, just maybe, find a little bit of peace in the Andean air.


Okay, Here's My Offer (Don't Tell Anyone I'm Doing This):

Book your stay at Casona La Recoleta through [Your Booking Link, if applicable]. Here's why:

  • Experience the magic, minus the hassle.

  • Special Deal: You'll get 10% off on the Spa treatment and a free welcome drink at the Poolside Bar.

  • Bonus: I can't promise you a personal spa day, but I can share some insider tips on how to survive the altitude.

  • Why wait? Cusco and Casona La Recoleta are calling your name.

Don't miss out, book now!

Manila's Most Stunning Loft: Gramercy Residences Awaits!

Book Now

Casona La Recoleta Cusco Peru

Casona La Recoleta Cusco Peru

Alright, buckle up buttercups, because we're about to dive headfirst (probably literally, given my track record) into my Cusco adventure. Specifically, my chaotic stay at Casona La Recoleta. Forget pristine, professionally-crafted itineraries. This is a lived itinerary, warts and all. And believe me, there are plenty of warts.

Cusco, Peru: Casona La Recoleta – A Glorious, Messy Whirlwind (October 2024)

Day 1: Arrival…and Altitude Sickness, Oh My God.

  • Morning (6:00 AM): Alarm blares. "Sunrise yoga!" the brochure chirped. Me? I hit snooze and dreamt of fluffy pancakes. (Foreshadowing, people. Foreshadowing.)
  • Late Morning (9:00 AM): Arrive at Cusco Airport. Lovely. The air thins the moment you step off the plane. Suddenly I'm sucking wind like a goldfish in a desert. Altitude sickness. It's real. Headache the size of the Andes. My luggage seems to weigh a ton. The taxi driver, bless him, just smiles and says, "Tranquilo, Señora." Yeah, easy for you to say, buddy.
  • Mid-Day (10:00 AM): Check into Casona La Recoleta. Gorgeous. Seriously. The courtyard is a tranquil oasis. Stone walls, bougainvillea cascading everywhere, that scent of old wood and history…amazing. But I can barely appreciate it, battling the throbbing in my head. The staff, however, are angels. They offer me coca tea immediately and usher me to my room with a hushed, sympathetic air. Note to self: pack altitude sickness pills.
  • Afternoon (1:00 PM): Force down a small, bland lunch at a nearby cafe. Everything tastes…off. Maybe it’s the altitude, maybe it’s the fact I’m still feeling like I want to hurl. I spend most of my time staring blankly out the window, feeling like I’ve aged 20 years in the last hour.
  • Afternoon (3:00 PM): Attempt to take a nap. Fail. My heart rate feels like a hummingbird on crack. Also, my brain is convinced I’m being haunted by Andean ghosts. (Probably the altitude.)
  • Evening (6:00 PM): Finally manage to eat some plain rice at the hotel. The staff is worried. I'm starting to feel embarrassed. A brief "walking tour" of the immediate area, I walk 2 blocks and need to stop and catch my breath. Decide to spend the rest of the evening in bed with a bottle of water, watching the ceiling and praying for tomorrow.

Day 2: The Plaza de Armas, Coca Tea, and…Disaster?

  • Morning (7:00 AM): Wake up. Headache’s…less monstrous? Progress! Down another cup of coca tea. God, that stuff is potent. Feels like I'm mainlining energy, not sure if it's good or bad. Venture out!
  • Morning (8:00 AM): Breakfast. The breakfast at the hotel is incredible. Fresh fruit, pastries, eggs cooked to order. I’m finally able to eat without feeling like I'm going to lose it all.
  • Morning (9:00 AM): Attempt to wander Plaza de Armas. The main square. It's breathtaking. The cathedral, the colonial architecture…stunning. I even manage to get a photo with a llama. (Tourist win!) But…
  • Morning into Mid-Day (10:00 AM - 12:00 PM): Disaster strikes. Completely, utterly, humiliatingly so. Let's just say my stomach and the local street food did not agree. I won't go into graphic detail, but let's just say I spent an extended period of time in a nearby (and rather basic) public restroom. This is where my "perfect" trip plan goes straight into the toilet. I am now forever scarred.
  • Afternoon (1:00 PM): Slowly, carefully, crawl back to the hotel. Feeling deflated, and in need of a LONG shower.
  • Afternoon (2:00 PM - 5:00 PM): Bed. Ice packs. Curled up in the fetal position, contemplating life choices that led me to this point. Order bland soup from room service. Seriously, the hotel staff are saints. They're probably used to this level of chaos.
  • Evening (6:00 PM): Attempt to watch some TV. Find myself endlessly scrolling through Netflix. Try to write in my journal. The words come out disjointed. My brain is still scrambled eggs.

Day 3: The Redemption Day. (Maybe?)

  • Morning (8:00 AM): Wake up. Feeling…better? The altitude sickness seems to have finally loosened its grip. Cautiously optimistic. Breakfast again. This time, I choose the plainest, safest options. No risks!
  • Mid-Morning (9:00 AM): Slow, deliberate walk to a local market. The colors, the smells, the energy! It’s overwhelming, but in a good way. Buy a ridiculously oversized alpaca sweater. No regrets.
  • Mid-Day (11:00 AM): A guided tour of the San Blas neighborhood. Cobblestone streets, artisan workshops…it’s beautiful and I start feeling the excitement for the city.
  • Afternoon (1:00 PM): Successfully eat a small but delicious lunch (pasta). Success!
  • Afternoon (3:00 PM): Book a massage at the hotel, which included coca-infused oil. Pure bliss. My muscles (and my brain) finally relax.
  • Evening (6:00 PM): Dinner at the hotel. The chef is a wizard. Incredible food!
  • Evening (7:00 PM): I decide to have a little stroll on the square. It seems the city comes alive at night. I can enjoy the atmosphere and feel the adrenaline.

Day 4: The Sacred Valley (Almost, Sigh)

  • Morning (7:00 AM): Early start for the Sacred Valley tour that I so eagerly anticipated.
  • Morning (7:30 AM): Nope. Woke up with a killer headache. The altitude, the food poisoning, the general upheaval? My body is revolting. Cancel the tour. Deep breath. More coca tea.
  • Mid-Morning (9:00 AM): Wander around the hotel. Sit in the courtyard. Listen to the fountain. Try to meditate. Fail miserably. My thoughts are still bouncing around like ping pong balls.
  • Mid-Day (12:00 PM): Decide to channel my inner artist. Attempt to sketch the courtyard. My drawing skills are appalling. Give up in frustration.
  • Afternoon (1:00 PM): Order a pizza from room service (again). Embarrassing but delicious.
  • Afternoon (3:00 PM): Pack. Departure tomorrow.
  • Evening (6:00 PM): Attempt to write a postcard. Struggle to find the right words. Cusco – beautiful? Cusco – brutal? Cusco – a crazy roller coaster of highs and lows? I settle for a rambling, incoherent mess, sealed with a promise to return.

Day 5: Departure…and a Promise

  • Morning (7:00 AM): One last breakfast. Heartbreak at leaving this place.
  • Morning (8:00 AM): Check out of Casona La Recoleta. I give the staff a grateful salute.
  • Morning (9:00 AM): Taxi to the airport. The altitude still hits me a little, but I can handle it.
  • Mid-Day (11:00 -12:00 AM): Fly out of Cusco. Looking out the window one last time. The Andes Mountains. A promise to come back, properly prepared next time.

Final Thoughts:

Cusco was wild. Casona La Recoleta was an oasis in the storm. I wouldn’t have survived without the wonderful staff. And despite the puking, the altitude sickness, and the near-total loss of my dignity, I wouldn’t trade it for anything. It was messy, it was flawed, it was real. And that, my friends, is the best kind of travel. Now, where's that alpaca sweater…I need to go buy another one to remember this adventure by.

Uncover Paradise: Agiokampos Resort, Euboea's Hidden Gem!

Book Now

Casona La Recoleta Cusco Peru

Casona La Recoleta Cusco Peru

Okay, spill the beans. What *IS* Casona La Recoleta, anyway? Is it a hotel? A secret society? Tell me!

Alright, settle down, wanderer! Casona La Recoleta is...well, imagine a hug from Cusco itself. Seriously. It's a boutique hotel, but calling it *just* that feels like calling the Mona Lisa "a painting." This place is built into a beautifully, crumbling old colonial mansion, stuffed with history, and nestled in the San Blas neighborhood. It’s not super grand, not outrageously flashy, it's just…real. Think exposed stone walls whispering secrets of the past, courtyards blooming with flowers, and a vibe so chill you could practically melt into the cobblestones.

San Blas? That’s the artsy-fartsy hill, right? Is it a pain to get to?

Ugh, yes, San Blas *is* the hill. And yes, my lungs cursed me a few times on the way up, especially after inhaling a particularly delicious empanada. But listen, the climb is SO worth it! Cobblestone streets, workshops overflowing with colorful crafts, cafes practically begging you to sit and sip... it's magical. And La Recoleta is perfectly placed, far enough up to feel secluded but close enough to the Plaza de Armas that you're not totally stranded. Plus, the views from the top? Stunning. Okay, fine, sometimes I grumbled, but mostly I just marveled.

What's the food like? Because if the breakfast is just dry bread and lukewarm coffee, I might cry.

Okay, breathe. The breakfast is GOOD. Not just "good for a hotel" good. Like, I-dream-about-it good. They do a lovely little spread, with fresh fruit (the papayas were divine!), eggs cooked to order (I'm a sucker for a perfectly poached egg), and *real* coffee. My one gripe - and this is a minor one that I'm only putting in here because you asked - is that it's not *quite* enough food if you're planning a long day of hiking. But then again, you can always grab a second helping. Or, you know, just go and eat those empanadas I mentioned earlier.

The rooms... what are they *really* like? Are we talking cramped and musty, or spacious and luxurious? Spill the tea!

Okay, truth time. "Luxurious" isn't *quite* the word, although some rooms are definitely nicer than others. My room was comfortable, clean, and beautifully decorated, with those gorgeous exposed stone walls that I'm obsessed with. Don't expect a massive, modern hotel room. Expect something with character, with history. It's charming, not pretentious. Some rooms have views of the San Blas rooftops, which is totally worth the extra few soles. I'd check the reviews, some people were complaining and it depends on what rooms you are getting, honestly. It is a very organic type of building, and you absolutely feel that.

Let's talk about the staff. Are they friendly? Helpful? Do they judge my terrible Spanish?

The staff? *Amazing*. Seriously. I'm not even sure how to describe it. They're not just friendly; they're genuinely *caring*. They're like the cool, quirky family you always wanted. They're patient with your terrible Spanish (mine is atrocious – I mix up "hola" and "adios" more often than I'd like to admit). They're full of recommendations for restaurants, hikes, and hidden gems. They remember your name. They make you feel like you're not just a guest, but a friend. I really loved asking them questions, they knew the city so well. I had a problem with the shower one day, it just wouldn't heat up, and thought I was doomed to freeze. But they were so quick to fix it. I felt so supported. One even gave me a little tip on how to get up to the Christo Blanco quicker, which, honestly, was a lifesaver.

So, is it REALLY a "hidden gem"? Or is it just another overpriced tourist trap?

Okay, this is where I get *fired up*. It's *totally* a hidden gem. Yes, tourism is a thing in Cusco, and it might get a little touristy, but La Recoleta genuinely feels different. It's not trying to be something it's not. It embraces its history, its character, and its location. It's authentic, it's charming, and it's a place where you can actually *relax* and soak up the atmosphere of Cusco. It’s not the cheapest place in town, but it’s worth every single sol. Trust me. I'd book it again in a heartbeat.. And if I had the money, I would probably move in.

Tell me about one specific experience. Like, a moment that really stuck with you.

Okay, okay, here's the one that sticks with me. I arrived late, like, completely exhausted after a flight from…well, a very long distance. I stumbled into the courtyard, this stunning, quiet space lit by soft lights. There's a small fountain, the sound of trickling water, the air smelling of flowers. The staff, seeing how wrecked I looked, immediately offered me a cup of coca tea (which I had heard existed but never tried.) I sat there, wrapped in a blanket, sipping the tea, listening to the sounds of the city, and the silence was just...perfect. I could *feel* myself unwinding. It was a welcome I'll never forget. It was the perfect antidote to all the travel chaos. I'm getting emotional just thinking about it. That tea…that moment… It was the definition of "hygge" before I even knew what hygge was.

Any downsides? Any *real* complaints?

Alright, gotta be honest. Okay, the Wi-Fi wasn't always stellar. Look, you're in the mountains; stuff happens. It's not a deal-breaker; just be prepared to occasionally disconnect. Oh, and maybe pack some earplugs if you're a light sleeper. The walls are a bit thin, and you *might* hear the party animals down the street at 3 am (I'm exaggerating a little). But honestly, these are minor gripes. The charm of the place, the staff, the location – it all outweighs any small imperfections. I'm nitpicking, truly.

So, final verdict? Would you REALLY recommend it? Be honest!

Yes. Absolutely, unequivocally, yes. If you're looking for a bland, cookie-cutter hotel experience, this isn't it. If you want to feel like you're truly experiencing Cusco, in all its messy, beautifulLow Price Hotel Blog

Casona La Recoleta Cusco Peru

Casona La Recoleta Cusco Peru

Casona La Recoleta Cusco Peru

Casona La Recoleta Cusco Peru