Escape to Paradise: Alexia Beach Hotel, Crete's Hidden Gem
Escape to Paradise: Alexia Beach Hotel, Crete - My Slightly Chaotic Deep Dive
Alright, buckle up buttercups, because I’m about to take you on a rollercoaster ride through the Alexia Beach Hotel in Crete, a place that claims to be a hidden gem. And, well, I'm here to tell you if it lives up to the hype. Forget the perfectly polished travel brochures, this is going to be real. Expect opinions, tangents, and maybe a slightly irrational love for the poolside bar. Let's get messy!
First Impressions & Accessibility (or Lack Thereof, Sometimes…)
Landing at the Heraklion airport, and then the drive to the hotel…oh boy. Beautiful scenery, yes, but accessibility? Let's just say it's a work in progress. The hotel itself, nestled on a beach, promises accessibility, and yes, there are accessible rooms. But navigating the grounds? Let's just say I'm glad I didn't bring my gran on this trip. Some ramps felt more like challenging adventure courses. (Accessibility rating: 3/5 - Room access: good. General ground navigation: needs improvement!) Getting to the beach itself was… involved.
Rooms: My Sanctuary (And Occasionally, My Tiny Prison)
Okay, the rooms… They were actually pretty fantastic. Free Wi-Fi in all rooms! HALLELUJAH! That matters, people. I mean, seriously, in this age? Praise be! The Air conditioning was a godsend, especially after that Cretan sun just beat down. The décor was a little…Mediterranean neutral. Think beige, more beige, and then a touch of ocean-inspired blue. Not my personal style, but hey, the Blackout curtains were superb for those much-needed naps during the hottest parts of the day. And the extra long bed was a serious perk.
I did find myself getting a bit…claustrophobic sometimes, but then I'd remember the balcony and that beautiful view! (Room Rating: 4/5 - Good, solid, and the free Wi-Fi makes up for a lot!) Also, the complimentary bottled water was a total lifesaver. Dehydration is a real concern folks. Listen to your mom.
The Essential Checklist: Everything You Need To Know!
- Internet: Free Wi-Fi everywhere? Check. The internet access [LAN] was available too, which I didn't touch, because, let's be honest: who uses that anymore unless you are a hardcore gamer? (Me, sometimes.)
- Cleanliness and Safety: This is where the Alexia Beach Hotel REALLY shines. They took COVID seriously, and I felt safe. The Anti-viral cleaning products, Daily disinfection in common areas, individually-wrapped food options, and Staff trained in safety protocol all added up to a level of comfort that was really appreciated. The rooms sanitized between stays and Sanitized kitchen and tableware items was reassuring.
- Dining, Drinking, and Snacking: A Culinary Adventure (Mostly)
Alright, let's talk food. The Breakfast [buffet] was…well, it was a buffet. I’m not a huge buffet person, but they had a surprisingly good Asian breakfast and Western breakfast. The pastries weren't always fresh, but you could always find something! The Coffee/tea in restaurant was good! I spent most of my time at the Poolside bar. They knew my order before I could speak. (Poolside bar rating: 5/5 - For the cocktails, the view, and the friendly bar staff. The cocktails were truly heaven…) I recommend the daiquiri. The Restaurants were also good.
The A la carte in restaurant was great.
Restaurants had everything from Soup in restaurant (highly recommend on that chilly evening!) to Salad in restaurant, and the service was excellent.
Things to do, ways to relax: Did I mention the Pool with a view? Yeah, that's a thing of beauty. And the Sauna, Steamroom, and Spa/sauna? Pure bliss. The Massage? Absolutely. My therapist, Maria, used a technique I've never experienced before - some kind of pressure point thing? I'm still not entirely sure what it was, but I walked out feeling like a new person. (Actually, I'd say the Body scrub and Body wrap were a bit…meh. But the rest was glorious!)
For the kids: I didn’t bring any kids, and to be honest, I'm not sure this is necessarily the ideal place for them. I spotted a few kids, enjoying the pool, but let's just say, the vibe leaned more "chill couple" than "family fun zone." There are Kids facilities and a Babysitting service, so it's doable, but…just something to consider.
Getting around: The Airport transfer was seamless.
Services and conveniences: The staff were lovely, but slightly stretched. I had to ask for things a few times (extra towels, a different pillow), but hey, they were always polite. The Concierge was helpful. The Laundry service was a bit expensive, but worth it.
Available in all rooms: As mentioned, the free Wi-Fi was brilliant. The Air conditioning was vital. The Refrigerator in the room was also a lifesaver for my water bottle and any goodies. The shower and towels were top tier. The desk was useful for working. The Coffee/tea maker was convenient (but I still took all my coffee at the poolside bar!)
Quirks, Imperfections, and Unexpected Joys: The Realness
This isn't a perfect hotel. There were a few hiccups. The elevator was a little slow. The signage could be clearer. The selection of snacks at the Snack bar was a bit limited. BUT! But! Here's the thing… those imperfections, those little quirks, that’s what made it feel real. Like a place, you could actually relax and, you know, live in, not just visit. And the view from the balcony more than made up for any shortcomings.
The Special Something: Alexia Beach Hotel's Secret Weapon
It’s the vibe. The sheer, unadulterated relaxation. The way the sun hits the water at sunset. The feeling of sinking into a comfortable chaise lounge by the pool. The genuine warmth of the staff. It's the kind of place where you can truly unwind, forget about the world for a bit, and recharge your batteries.
The Offer: Escape to Paradise, Unleash Your Inner Bliss!
Are you ready to escape the ordinary? Then pack your bags and head to the Alexia Beach Hotel in Crete!
Here's what makes this your perfect getaway:
- Unwind in luxury: Enjoy elegant rooms, free Wi-Fi, and breathtaking views from your private balcony.
- Indulge your senses: Sip cocktails at the poolside bar, savor delicious meals at our restaurants, and melt away your stress at our full-service spa with massage, sauna, steamroom, body scrub and body wrap.
- Stay Safe: Feel secure with our comprehensive cleaning and safety protocols, including anti-viral cleaning products, daily disinfection, and staff trained in safety protocols.
- Experience Authentic Crete: Explore the island's stunning beaches, ancient ruins, and vibrant culture.
Book your stay at the Alexia Beach Hotel by [Date] and receive:
- 15% off your stay
- A complimentary welcome bottle of local wine
- Free access to our spa facilities
Don't wait! This offer won't last! Click here to book your escape to paradise: [Link to booking page]
This is more than just a vacation; it’s a chance to rediscover yourself. Come to Crete. Come to the Alexia Beach Hotel. And let your worries wash away in the Aegean Sea. Just… be prepared for some slight imperfections along the way. It’s part of the charm, I promise.
Bogotá's Chicest Smart Loft: Luxury Living Awaits!Alexia Beach Hotel, Crete: A Week of Sun, Souvlaki, and Existential Dread (Maybe)
Okay, so here's the rough outline of my week at the Alexia Beach Hotel. Emphasis on rough. Let's be honest, I'm probably going to deviate wildly from this from the moment I step off the plane. But hey, gotta start somewhere, right?
Day 1: Arrival and the Great Sunbed Scramble
- Morning: Land in Heraklion. The airport's a chaotic ballet of luggage carts and desperate families. I swear I saw a toddler attempt to eat a suitcase. My flight was delayed, of course. Because why wouldn't it be? It immediately put me on edge. I'm already behind schedule and I'm supposed to be relaxing.
- Midday: Taxi chaos to the hotel. The drive itself was… stunning. The Aegean Sea shimmered, the mountains looked like they were sculpted from butter… then a scooter almost sideswiped us and I remembered I hate being in cars.
- Afternoon: The real test. The Sunbed Gauntlet. I was expecting a relaxing spa day, not the Hunger Games. Turns out, the early bird does get the sunbed. Apparently, someone (probably British, I'm putting money on it) was out there at dawn, claiming his territory with towels and strategically placed novels. Defeated, I found a pathetic patch of sand and attempted to embrace the "rustic" experience. It involved fighting off persistent sand fleas and dodging rogue volleyballs. Oh, and applying sunscreen every ten minutes because I’m translucent.
- Evening: Dinner at the hotel restaurant. "Traditional Greek cuisine," the menu boasted. I ordered the moussaka, because… well, when in Rome (or Crete). It tasted… like a casserole. A slightly bland casserole. I contemplated sending it back, but then I realized I was too tired and hungry to argue. Also the wine… the wine was strong. Maybe that's why the "rustic" sand experience was so appealing.
Day 2: Ancient Ruins and a Cranky Stomach
- Morning: Day trip to Knossos. The site itself was fascinating. Seeing the bull-leaping frescoes made me question my life choices (I mean, I just spent half the day fighting sunbeds. They were obviously more successful than the Minoans). The heat was brutal though. I swear the stones were radiating their own personal sun.
- Midday: The food poisoning began (Maybe the mystery casserole? Or the questionable street gyros? We'll never know) The "local" (cough, cough) bakery provided me with stomach issues as I was attempting to enjoy the historical sites.
- Afternoon: Contemplated collapsing in the hotel room and never emerging. Seriously the hotel staff had seen me in a worse state.
- Evening: Managed a few bites of plain rice, desperately trying to rehydrate. Bed at 8pm. Utter misery. But hey, at least I could dream of those sunbeds.
Day 3: Beach Bliss (Attempted)
- Morning: Felt human again! (Hallelujah!). Decided to actually hit the beach. Found a slightly less-contested patch of sand. It was lovely. Waves crashing, sun warming… all perfect.
- Midday: Walked to the beach bar for a drink. I was feeling confident. Ordered a "refreshing" cocktail. It tasted like someone had poured battery acid into a glass of sugar water. Gave up. Went for the fresh orange juice instead.
- Afternoon: Tried snorkeling. Saw a fish. It was small. I felt extremely inadequate. Spent the rest of the time bobbing around feeling like a clumsy seal. Realized I was probably scaring more fish then seeing.
- Evening: Dinner at taverna in the town (not the hotel food). Finally something delicious! Grilled Octopus. Wonderful, garlicky, and the wine this time was actually drinkable. I feel like I’m starting to understand this place. This is what I came for.
Day 4: Lost in the Labyrinth (of Tavernas)
- Morning: Decided to (reluctantly) spend the morning at the pool. Enjoyed reading my book. The sun was good, as was the pool.
- Midday: Wandered into another little town. Got completely lost. Not a bad thing though. Found a tiny taverna tucked away off the beaten path.
- Afternoon: Started to feel more relaxed by the food and atmosphere. Ate some delicious food, and enjoyed the local music. I'm not sure what I was doing with my life before…
- Evening: Some (slightly) over-enthusiastic drinking, ending with dancing. I'm pretty sure I made a fool of myself. But hey, Greek dancing is infectious. No regrets.
Day 5: Exploring and Exhaustion
- Morning: Renting a car!! This is where things really get messy (and I'm not just talking about the car rental paperwork, which was a nightmare).
- Midday: Drive through this amazing rocky terrain. I stopped for a picnic (which was a can of sardines and some dry bread).
- Afternoon: Saw mountains. Saw other historic sites. Tried to get back. Got lost. Again. Found some hidden beaches.
- Evening: Passed out in front of the television at 8pm.
Day 6: Doubling Down On An Experience that was More Intense Than I Thought
I'm going to talk about the food poisoning again. Because it hung over me for the rest of the trip. And it’s important. It shaped my experience. It gave me a fear of anything but plain, bland food for more than half the trip. It robbed me of the energy to do anything but worry and try to stay hydrated. It made me miss out on so many experiences.
I’m going home now with the understanding that it was not worth it.
Day 7: Departure and the Post-Holiday Blues
- Morning: The dreaded packing. Reminisced about the "good times" (mostly the grilled octopus). Tried to squeeze all my souvenirs into my already overstuffed suitcase.
- Midday: Taxi back to the airport. More chaos. More delays. More existential dread.
- Afternoon: Finally, home. Blah.
Final Thoughts:
Crete was… an experience. It was beautiful, frustrating, delicious (sometimes), and deeply, profoundly tiring. Would I go back? Honestly, maybe. But next time, I'm bringing my own sunbed, a first-aid kit, a phrasebook that doesn't lead me to the wrong locations and a very, very well-researched list of safe tavernas. Oh, and maybe a therapist. This holiday made me question everything. But hey, at least I have a story. And a stomach churning to tell it.
Unbelievable Jakarta Luxury: Studio Wonderful at West Vista!Escape to Paradise: Alexia Beach Hotel, Crete - The Unfiltered Truth (and a Few Rambles)
Alright, so you're thinking about Alexia Beach Hotel in Crete? Good choice, maybe. Look, I've been, and I'm gonna spill the beans, the whole, slightly sandy, slightly salty beans. Forget the brochures, forget the perfectly curated Instagram feeds. This is the real deal. Prepare for a wild ride, because this ain't your grandma's review.
Is Alexia Beach truly a 'hidden gem'? Or just…hidden?
Okay, so "hidden gem" is a loaded phrase, right? It makes me think of discovering a vault full of gold. Alexia Beach…well, it's *somewhat* hidden. Getting there involves a slightly terrifying, but ultimately rewarding, drive down a windy road. Remember the photo you might have seen online of the dramatic coastal view? Yeah, that, but you're *in* it. Scary, gorgeous, breath-taking, and also, my poor car, which I nicknamed "The Courageous Camry" after that ordeal. It's not *difficult* to find, but it avoids the main tourist throngs. Which is a *huge* win, by the way. You get to feel like you've actually *discovered* something, and not just been herded onto another overcrowded beach.
What's the beach actually *like*? Because 'beach' can mean a lot of things.
The beach is AMAZING. Like, seriously. The water is that unbelievably clear turquoise you see in postcards, except it's not photoshopped. It's real. The sand is a lovely golden color, a bit coarse, so don't expect soft, fluffy white sand (which is honestly *always* disappointing, in my experience). You get this lovely feeling like you are actually in the warm, shallow sea. It slopes gently out so great for little kids and for floating without fear! But here's a confession: I am a terrible swimmer. I'm more of a "wade and then panic slightly" type of person. The beach at Alexia Beach Hotel? Absolutely perfect for me. I just floated, I felt safe and happy and didn't need to embarrass myself. Also, the sunsets are spectacular, painting the sky with fiery oranges and purples. Prepare to have your phone fill with sunset shots, because you can't *not* take them. You just *can't*.
The rooms – are they anything to write home about (besides ‘HELP ME’)?
Okay, let's be honest about the rooms. They aren’t exactly what you'd call "ultra-modern minimalist chic." They're… functional. Clean, yes. Comfortable, mostly. But they have a certain *charm*, a kind of vintage-y vibe. Think: tiles that have been around a while, perhaps a slightly wonky showerhead (mine definitely went through phases), and a balcony with a view that will make your jaw drop. The view, my friends, is the saving grace. Seriously, I spent hours on that balcony, just staring. It was so incredibly relaxing. And look, I've stayed in hotels that are prettier, *much* prettier, but the soul of the place more than makes up for any aesthetic shortcomings. Plus, who spends that much time in their room anyway? You're there to *be* on the beach, right?
The food! Is it just endless Greek salad and grilled fish? (Not that there's anything *wrong* with that…)
The food at Alexia Beach Hotel… now *this* is where it gets REALLY good. Yeah, the Greek salad is on point. The grilled fish is fresh and delicious and that is fine. But then there are the other things. The little touches. The unexpected. The owner’s wife, bless her heart, makes the most AMAZING moussaka. Layers of eggplant, perfectly spiced seasoned ground meat, topped with a creamy béchamel sauce. My stomach is growling just thinking about it! I swear, I gained 5 pounds during that trip. Worth every single bite. And the breakfasts! Forget the dry continental stuff. Expect fresh bread, local honey, cheeses so good you'll want to smuggle them home, and fruit that actually tastes like… well, fruit! The restaurant, by the way, is right on the beach. So you're eating, listening to the waves, and just… existing in pure bliss. Honestly, I'd go back just for the food.
What’s the vibe like? Is it all loud tourists, or…
It's *not* a party hotel. Thank GOD. It's more laid-back, family-friendly, and relaxed. You'll find couples, families, and genuinely friendly people. There's a genuine sense of community, and you can feel that. It's the kind of place where people chat, share stories, and genuinely seem to enjoy each other's company. Everyone looks chilled, happy, and not like they are trying to be something, like they have found their place. I made a friend and we went for a few swims. It was magic! The staff are incredibly welcoming, and you get the feeling that they actually *care* that you're having a good time. It's the antitheses of the often-impersonal mega-resorts. It is so lovely.
Okay, spill the tea. What's the *worst* thing about Alexia Beach? There has to be *something*.
Alright, the truth. The "bad" stuff. Here goes: The air conditioning in my room wasn't *consistently* amazing. Sometimes it felt like it was blowing whispers. The wifi wasn't the strongest, especially on the beach. (But hey, you're on vacation! Unplug, people!) The one real downer, though, was leaving. Seriously. Packing up, saying goodbye to the staff (who felt like family), and facing that windy road again… that was rough. Heartbreaking, even. I may or may not have shed a tear. Don't judge me. I even considered extending my vacation and then having to give up my return flight, but common sense prevailed. Ugh. I miss it so much.
Would you go back? Be honest!
Absolutely, without a doubt, in a heartbeat. I'm already checking flights. I am already looking at booking. And this is why I would. It's not just the beautiful beach, the amazing food, or the friendly people. It's the feeling. That feeling of being truly relaxed, genuinely happy, and connected to a place. A feeling that you've escaped, not just to a hotel, but to a little piece of paradise. Alexia Beach Hotel? It's more than just a vacation. It's an experience. AndHotel Deals Search